Garden City Hospital has been a mainstay for the people of our community for years, and is a welcome addition to the GCBA. They officially joined this month and they plan to become active participants in our organization. They recognize the influence a hospital has on its surrounding community and the relationships it can help form.
The origin of Garden City Hospital began as the vision of six local physicians in March of 1947. Committed to a high level of healthcare, the physicians pooled their own money and rented a building on Ford Road to provide a more attentive healthcare facility for the community. Built around the family practitioner, the hospital was named Garden City Maternity Hospital even though it also treated sick and injured persons. After a few years, the physicians realized they needed to hire someone who could help them maintain their vision. Allan Breakie, Assistant Administrator at Holy Cross Hospital in Detroit, was hired to oversee the day-to-day operations. With Breakie in place, the hospital purchased Leland Sanitarium (renamed Ridgewood Hospital) in Ypsilanti and broke ground in 1959 on the current facility, which is located at 6245 Inkster Road in Garden City. The doors opened August 1960 and grew to what is today a state-of-the-art medical facility with 323 licensed beds.
With a staff of 365 physicians, Garden City Hospital deals with 47 different specialities. It is also a teaching hospital, offering medical education to students, interns, residents and fellows from across the country. The residency and internship programs offer more 100 positions in specialties including Cardiology, Emergency Medicine, Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Neurological Surgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Orthopedics, General Surgery and Urological Surgery.
In 2014, Garden City Hospital joined Prime Healthcare Services, an award-winning hospital management company operating 38 acute care hospitals in 11 states. It is one of the nation’s leading healthcare service providers with nearly 40,000 employees and staff dedicated to providing the highest quality healthcare and contributing to the communities they serve.